DNI James Clapper returned to Austin on September 22 to deliver Keynote Remarks at the Herzstein Texas National Security Forum. Director Clapper also participated in a panel discussion on “Intelligence Support to the Nominees, President-Elect, and Transition Process” during the morning of September 23 along with John McLaughlin, John Helgerson, and ISP Director Steve Slick. Other current and former intelligence officials who participated in the NSF include former DNI John Negroponte, National Counterterrorism Director Nick Rasmussen, and former DDCI (and UT-Austin Professor) Adm. Bob Inman. The full NSF schedule of events is here.
- Keynote Address by DNI James Clapper
- Welcome and First Plenary: Reflections on the White House NSC Transition from Bush to Obama
- Session 1: Intelligence Support to the Nominees, President-elect, and the Transition Process
- Session 2: Managing Diplomacy — Shaping a new State Department and Coordinating with a new President and White House team
- Second Plenary: Responsible transitions: The White House transition from Bush to Obama
- Session 3: A Commanding Presence — Effecting the President’s Role as Commander in Chief: The View from the Pentagon
- Session 4: The Transfer of Security While in the Middle of Politics: The National Security Council